If you have read any of my other reviews, you’d know that I LOVE the HP Reverb and recommend it for many games. But not for Beat Saber!
Beat Saber is a different beast and these are the thing you need to look at before buying a VR headset for it:
- Clarity and resolution are NOT your top priority. You move so fast you wont even notice the lack of clarity. And the things you have to slice are quite big anyway. This is not a text reading simulator!
- Mobility is extra important. Ideally, you need a wireless setup. But at the very least you need something with a long and light wire (and trust me the Reverb and other premium headset wires are super heavy).
- Stability – in terms of being attached to your face firmly.
- Sweat management!! I don’t know about you, but I do work up quite a sweat when playing Beat Saber so this is a consideration for me.
- Terrific tracking – After a couple dozen hours in beat Saber, even a klutz like me starts feeling like a gazelle lol. So yea, we need a headset that can keep up.
Based on these criteria, here are my top picks.
1. Best VR Headset for Beat Saber (Mid-range Option)
- Get two bonus games when you buy Meta Quest 2. Ends 06/03/23. Upon Activation, you will receive a...
- Meta Quest is for ages 13+. Certain apps, games and experiences may be suitable for a more mature...
The Quest 2 is a great all rounder and definitely the best option in the mid range. Like a true all rounder, the Quest 2 offers acceptable performance in almost every game, including Beat Saber.
It boasts good clarity, good tracking and it just works out of the box. It also offers unmatched value for money and there is nothing else at this price point that comes close. You don’t need a PC with the Quest. Meaning you can play anywhere and save on upgrading your PC. Its also wireless out of the box!
Think of it this way: If you only play high resolution flight sims, then you need something like the Reverb or maybe the Index. If you only play Beat Saber than a wireless and lighthouse option like the Vive Pro will be best. But if you play a bit of everything, THAT is when you need to get a Quest 2.
2. Best VR Headset for Beat Saber (Premium Option)
- Precision eye tracking - consistent, accurate eye movement tracking and analysis for creative and...
- User analytics - uncover actionable insights about your users experience in VR using heat mapping,...
The undisputed king for Beat Saber. The Vive Pro has so many features that fit perfectly with what you want to do in this game that it is hard to pick anything else.
- The Vive Pro uses lighthouses so it has the best tracking. This is something that really clinches the deal for Beat Saber because you really do need top-notch controller tracking.
- It has wireless!! You can get the wireless adapter and you also need this attachment kit . Wireless really is a game changer for games like Beat Saber as you no longer have to lug around a bulky cable and worry about tripping.
- It has a lot of foam which can soak up sweat and prevent damage. You can easily swap them out and buy more off of Amazon easily.
- The Vive Pro already incorporates the improvements over the Vive like a better head-strap which is more comfortable, comes with headphones and is easier to put on.
- The Vive Pro’s resolution is still on-par with the best VR headsets of today.
3. Best VR Headset for Beat Saber (Budget/ Entry Level Option)
- 3K anti-sde AMOLED display (2880x1600) with wide 110O field of view
- Direct Full Array Backlight 4X: Concentrated Zones of Precision-Controlled LEDs Auto-Adjust Contrast...
The Odyssey+ is a good entry point into VR in general. Its showing its age, but there hasn’t really been a better options at this price point, especially if you can get your hands on a used Odyssey. The headset punches above its weight in terms of clarity and comfort and even beat out some of the premium headsets for a while. If you just want to dip your toes into VR, then the Odyssey+ is still recommended.