Euro Truck Simulator 2 is one game that I never thought I’d enjoy at much as I did. I still come across a lot of people on reddit who are surprised that a non-racing driving game exists, but frankly I am glad that it does. ETS2 has this calming, chill vibe and I used to play it in VR after work and it just felt so relaxing.
The reason I bring all of this up is because I set up my system for maximum comfort and relaxation while playing ETS2 or ATS. VR headsets are not that comfortable, but I bought additional padding and head straps to make them better suited for long drives which is what I like to do in ETS2. I also tested out several steering wheels, gear shifters and mounting options to get a system that provides the most relaxing and immersive simming experience.
What does the ideal ETS2/ ATS wheel look like?
These were my top considerations during my tests:
- Comfortable for long distance driving and that means over an hour on the wheel at one time.
- Good quality material to give you a premium feel on the grip.
- Adjustable force-feedback because oyu dont want your arms to tire out.
- Enough range of motion to match the movement of the steering wheel of the truck 1 to 1. This is not mandatory but it is good for immersion.
- Durability because you will probably clock 100s of hours in just these 2 games!
Based on all these factors, here are my top picks.
1. Best Mid-Range
- Wheel: The definitive sim racing wheel for Xbox One: Realistic steering and pedal action for the...
- Wheel: Responsive floor pedal unit: Accelerate, brake and change gears with the feel of an actual...
The Logitech G920 has been my mainstay for 6+ years now. I do use other wheels for racing sometimes but this is my overall most used wheel. For ETS2/ ATS, I exclusively use this wheel only. There are other premium $1000+ wheels out there but those are mostly for competitive racing and you dont really need them for Euro/ American Truck Simulator. This wheel represents the sweet spot between price and performance.
The wheel has a nice big range of motion of a hopping 900° rotation. That is good news for truck simmers as we benefit from all this extra rotation for our trucks. The wheel boats quality construction material including Anodized Aluminum, Leather, Steel, Glass-Filled Nylon, Polyoxymethylene Thermoplastic etc. that provides it the durability and build quality that you need for such games.
The pedals are nice and solid too with a lot of metal and heft to them. They provide a nice, smooth range of motion with realistic pushback for that immersive experience. Its almost as good as the real thing.
2. Best Budget/ Entry Level
- The First PlayStation 4 officially licensed Racing wheel, for all racing games on PlayStation 4;...
- Wheel grip with rubber texture coating; Two on-wheel sequential digital gear shift paddles
The Thrustmaster T80 is my pick for the budget option. It lacks some bells and whistles but if you are in the budget category, this is your best option. It is decently durable, provides nice smooth controls, comes with pedals and even has a bungee cord self centering mechanism which most other wheels lack at this price point. It has 270 degrees rotation which is not much but you wont get a lot more than that with other starter wheels either.
It feels pretty solid given its price point and has some nice quality materials used on the 3 and 9 o’clock positions of the wheel. The pedals are decent and heavy but you will need to make sure you secure them properly to keep them from moving around.
All in all, you should be happy with this product as long as you are aware this is essentially a starter wheel. But as far as starter wheel go, this is by far the best option.
3. Best Premium
- The TS-XW Racer is a 1:1 scale replica of the Sparco P310 Competition wheel, and is officially...
- Works on Xbox Series X/S, XBOX One and PC
The Thrustmaster TS-XW is more for racing enthusiasts but if you are willing to splurge, you cant go wrong with this. It has whopping 1080 rotation which means it can totally be used for sim trucking. The 40-watt brushless motor provides one of the best force feedback systems on the market with super smooth performance.
The pedal set is also one of the best around with heavy use of metals and very satisfying pedal travel, especially on the brake which uses a progressive rubber resistance system. But the real cherry on top is the Sparco competition wheel which is a replica of one used in actual competitive motorsport. You likely wont be racing your trucks in ETS2 anytime soon but the premium feel of the wheel goes a long long way to make you want to grab it and never let it go!